Thursday, May 18, 2006

Let's try massage. . . . . . .

I broke down and called my "massage therapist" (Becky Rands) and went this morning for some "therapy". She's actually really good, and has quite a bit of training in sports medicine, neuromuscular stuff, etc. Her preference is to work with athletes (but she took me anyway). So I called her up and told her the story of my "pinched nerve" and that it just doesn't seem to be going away. I also told her I had a race Sunday and couldn't be "hurting" for that. . . .as I know sometimes she goes pretty deep in the tissue and I'm sore for a couple days. She said come on in, she'd be gentle and she'd check it out.

She worked a bunch of stretches with me and when she started on my "glutes" she felt exactly what I was talking about. A "very thick band" in her words. . . . .that she worked from a TON of different angles. Then she went to my right leg to balance things out (this is the "good" leg) and I winced when she touched my quads which were just riddled with knots. She laughed at the fact that my LEFT side was the one hurting but my right side seemed to be in worse shape (at least my quads were, why I do not know, it's not like I USE them lately).

So I hope that does some good. When I got up from the table I actually felt a bit of relief. Now 7 hours later it's hurting. I knew it would. . .it always does. Hopefully I'll get done with my appointments quick enough tonight to come home and hit the hot tub, then ice it down again. No work out today. . .maybe a light recovery spin tomorrow. . . .test it out Saturday. . . I should be in good shape Sunday. Or so I hope.

No comments: