Monday, June 02, 2008

Wausau

The new camper was great. . . . much nicer than the old one. The tear down needs a bit of work. . . . .it seemed to take us a lot longer to pack up.

The race was ok. I've decided I'm very disappointed in myself in general. . . . .but such is life. My goals for this race were simple. Finish the race, don't hurt myself, stay out of the way. I accomplished them all. I really wasn't sure how racing 2+ hours at a high heart rate would go for me. . . . .since the last ride I had done (before pre-ride) was Monday's ride at Suimaco. But I survived an average heart rate of 181 for 2:20. . . . .so that's a good thing. My laps were even somewhat consistent (45 min, 47 min, 48 min - roughly), so that's good too I guess. I got off my bike a few times to let comp riders pass through. . . . . .but I also rode my ass off a number of times through the single track as well, just to stay out of the way.

I can't believe we've already finished the 3rd race of the season and instead of ramping up my training, I'm finding excuses to do other "more important" things. I think this is what a lot of women contemplating elite must go through. I know we've seen a number of them come and go over the years, bounce back and forth from Sport to Elite and back again. I think honestly there is just SUCH a big gap in the very small woman's elite field, it makes those of us finishing at the bottom wondering why even bother? It's not like I can pull 20 or 30 minutes out of my ass at a race. . . . . .even if I hire a professional coach and start training 8 hours a day. It simply isn't going to happen. Can I gain a few minutes? Sure. But that still leaves me towards the bottom. . . . . .so does it really matter? Why not do other things I enjoy?

These aren't really questions I'm looking for answers on, these are just things that float around in my mind. Obviously if I train 3 or 4 hours a week I'm only going to continue to lose more fitness. . . . . .but going back to the 8-10 hours a week I used to do seems like a lot of work considering I'm only going to gain a couple minutes at best.

So I guess it once again all boils down to fun. So far, I'm still having fun. I'm discouraged because I'm "out of shape". . . . . .but being out there riding my bike is still fun. Wausau left me feeling very impressed with the support and kindness of the other riders out there with me. I can't even tell you how many people encouraged me to keep going, complimented me on my single track skills, told me I was doing great. . . . . .those comp and elite boys were simply nice as well as all the "screaming spectators".

It's a different world out there, racing among people where YOU are now the slowest. It takes a little adjustment, a lot of motivation to keep pushing, and a bit of humility. It's easy to judge when you're not wearing the shoes. I guess right now I'll be happy that I'm even trying to wear the shoes. Who cares if they don't fit? At least I'm trying. :-)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

as long as you are still having fun that's all that matters.

velogrrl said...

I think many of us think those things that are floating around in your mind at some point, no matter the category ... good post!

I think you will be glad you tried on the shoes in the long run?

Sarah Lukas said...

Depending on your patience, it truly will come after time. I came into Elite with no good citizen results, no good sport results, and many dead last finishes. I have found I learn more and more every race that help me easy up. You guys deserve to race in elite!

Nice job this weekend!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't get any easier....you just go faster.

The Shed Master said...

How do you know you'd only gain a few minutes with more training?

amelia said...

great job brittany!! don't get discouraged and keep having fun. i don't really think you're "out of shape". the gap is so big that if you were racing sport you'd be spanking most of the women there.

Christine said...

I had a big glass of motivation the night before the race, you should try it:) Nice job out there! and thaks again for the yummy leftover alfredo! I slammed the rest of it down when I got home, I was SOOOOOOOOOO HUNGRY!

Anonymous said...

It's good to have you out on the trail with us, you are doing GREAT!