Sunday, June 15, 2008

Subaru Cup

It just wasn't there. The heart rate was too high which makes me sloppy in the technical sections, my stomach felt like someone punched me in it, and I just wasn't having fun. It hurt, I was so far behind everyone else I probably would have gotten lapped twice, and I felt the need to double up in pain. So, I pulled the plug.

There aren't any excuses really. I simply don't have the fitness I need to be racing elite. When there's that much of gap, and you're suffering that much, it just isn't fun anymore, even if you really want it to be fun. I realize that's difficult for most people to understand, because most of you haven't been in the shoes I'm in right now. Yes, I understand I'm the one who put myself here. . . . .but now that I'm here I just need to figure out how to go on and make the best of it. Get back to having fun. I'm not sure I know how to do that after this weekend.

Day by day I guess.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about your race, keep up good work though.

http://www.gordoworld.com/gblog/index.html
some good reading on the process of racing.

Also just wanted you to know I have a new blog, and the link on your page to me is a dead one.
New one= www.mrtreeracing.blogspot.com

bmxmtbfam said...

Just keep plugging away, you can do it.
I know that sinking feeling.
I tore my quad at Rockhut and the more I ride lately the slower I have been getting. Everyone that I have talked to said, the only thing that will help is a long time off the bike. After this race I think I really need to do that.

Anonymous said...

You are smart for 'pulling the plug' when your body says enough. Many people don't listen to their bodies. Don't kick yourself if you aren't fit enough right now. There is more to life than whether a person is racing at an elite level. If other people don't understand, you have no obligation to explain it to them!

Anonymous said...

Call me and we can go for rides(mtb. or road) all summer! Schools out and I am up by Kettle all summer long. I know exactly how you feel about the move up to elite and the pressure we put on ourselves no matter how often we tell ourselves that our goal is to have fun.

amelia said...

That race as hard no matter what category you raced. I don't think racing 3 laps for sport would have been any more fun. I was hurting through all of it. Not just the extra lap!

I don't own a functioning heart rate monitor anymore but if I did I wouldn't wear it it in a race. Why assign a number to your pain or know exactly how much you're suffering? Just go out there and take it as it comes.