Sunday, June 08, 2008

Woman's Dirt Retreat

Two words. . . . . . .FREAKIN' AWESOME.


Despite the less than perfect weather, this weekend was worth every penny. The Mad FORCS & Renee Callaway sure know what they're doing. They organized a first class event. From the delicious sandwich & salad lunch, the pasta & pizza dinner, the tasty Sobe drinks and the yummy breakfast spread to the awesome raffle prizes to the patient and knowledgeable instructors to the absolutely awesome Allison Dunlap. Each and every aspect was incredible.

If you would have told me 5 years ago that some day I'd be attending a dirt camp retreat and not only learning from one of the WORLD'S best mountain bikers, but hanging out and talking with her, I would have laughed in your face. But that's exactly what I did this weekend.

If you've ever met Allison Dunlap, you know what I'm talking about. This woman is one of THE nicest people you will ever meet. It's hard to believe she's one of THE world's best mountain bikers when you meet her. She's so down to earth and pleasant. She's a wealth of knowledge and this weekend she sat back and let us draw upon that knowledge. We fired question after question at her and she gladly answered each and every one of them and overloaded us with information.

She also spent one on one time with each of us, teaching us a few technical skills and watching each of us to assure we had picked them up. She even went out on the trails with us and did some technical riding. . . . .until the tornado sirens sounded, the rain started pouring and we were summonsed to head back to safety.

I would rate this weekend as one of the highlights of my "biking life". To spend that much time with someone that important. . . . . .and learn the things I did from her, was priceless.

NOW, it's GO time. Time to batten down the hatches and REALLY train. I'm motivated, I'm ready and I'm excited. After all. . . .it's never too late, even for someone like ME. Sweet.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Nice to see you had a great time and awesome experience.

amelia said...

you are a bunny hopping pro now.

i was also very impressed with allison.

Unknown said...

that's so awesome! you'll have to show me your bunny hopping skills! and what else did you learn?

Dano said...

Back in 02, I had a beer with Allison and Marla S at the NORBA race at Alpine.

I think they were really bored.

True story, I have pics.

Nice girls.

bmxmtbfam said...

I touched her butt at Alpine so she wouldn't fall backwards. Ask Shelly about her time spent with her, you will laugh.