Friday, April 21, 2006

OUCH. . . .that's gotta hurt!

While we were in North Carolina we rode several mountain bike trails, one of them being a place called Bent Creek. I'm assuming there's a creek that is "bent" somewhere around there, but who the heck knows, they kind of have their own way of thinking "down south".

We've ridden Bent Creek before and it has some pretty nice trails. A lot of climbing, but then again when aren't you climbing when your terrain is all mountainous? We had heard they made new trails there so we had to go check it out.

We found what they called the new "roadie trail". I think they called it that because it was so smooth and hard packed. Well, it was also a downhiller's dream, as it was all downhill, and FULL of whoops (is that how you spell that?). I find the experience of breaking while in the air to be quite fun. When that back tire lands it makes a fun little sound when you're gripping the breaks for dear life riding down a mountain, trying to make sure your back end doesn't fly over your front end.

Seriously though one can catch some MAJOR air if they're looking to, and as we observed first hand, one can also do some major damage if they're not careful.

I took the lead down the whoops, as I'm told I descend fast "for a girl". Really I just don't have enough brake pad left so pulling back to the handles doesn't really stop me. . . . . .but as I was coming down the last section, where apparently some people catch BIG air, I see people scattered among the trail yelling "rider down, slow down". Luckily I had my speed in check so slowing down wasn't a "life threatening" situation for me.

As I crest the last hill I see what the commotion is all about. I see the puddle of blood in the middle of the trail, a bike strewn off into the weeds on the side of the trail and a guy sitting in the grass, making moaning noises, grabbing his face, surrounded by his friends. Being the kind of person I am, I of course get right in there to ask if he's ok, if they need help, looking to see how bad the damage is. You know, I worked in a hospital at one point in my life, so that of COURSE makes me an expert on anything medical.

I catch a glimpse of this guy who's face is covered in blood. Turns out he was riding "out of control" as his friend later said and just flipped and face planted. He had done it just minutes prior to us coming down the hill. . . .thankfully he wasn't behind us taking us with him! I wasn't sure what his nose looked like BEFORE he fell, but I was pretty sure it wasn't completely crooked and yellow. Yuck! He was truly lucky he didn't break his neck or his back in the manner he fell.

After finding someone who's phone got reception in the "boonies" and calling 9-1-1, we helped his friends get him and his bike back to a main trail (yes, they wanted to move him, and he seemed to be ok with that). At first inspection from the EMS people, we were told they figured he at least broke his wrist, put a pretty deep gash in his chin and his nose, and of course, broke his nose. I think he may have even jarred a few teeth. I'm thinking he was sipping his Easter meal through a straw with two back eyes and a totally messed up nose.

I totally wanted to be a tourist and take his picture, but we thought it might be in poor taste. Of course I don't think he really would have even noticed. . . . . .

So today's lesson boys and girls, is be careful when riding fast downhills. While it's fun to catch air and show your friends how cool you are, they'll end up thinking you're REALLY a dork when they have to peel your face off the trail.

As "Captain" says . . . . . .Safety First!

5 comments:

Mountaingoat said...

A real blogger would have taken his picture. You always have to be thinking, "blog material".

Ronsta, said...

This post is too long. Are you trying to compete with DIHAF. Some of us have ADD, and on top of it all this reading really cuts into my riding / eating / anything-but-working time.

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, never forgo a golden opportunity to capture a grusome image to share with the rest of the blogging community because of a brief moment of awkwardness.

Tell Bill i said Hi.

MTB Girl said...

I know. I'm just learning. I'm so glad I have such good teachers to instruct me.

Anonymous said...

And the hazing continues...

Remember, it's all about US, so , I MUST agree with the boys...do not let another "golden opportunity" pass you by.

DIHAF? said...

I was reading these comments but Ron's was way to long and I had to turn around and go back.