Sunday, April 30, 2006

In disguise

Up until yesterday, I had no idea how cool a pair of Rudy Project glasses could make you look. I mean I knew those Team Wisconsin people look cool with their Rudy hook-up, but I never knew how they could transform a "simple, plain, wall-flower girl" like me into an unrecognizable "cycling chick". It's almost like Superman when he steps into the phone booth. I knew I was unrecognizable when I showed up at the Team Wisconsin Criterium Saturday and my two Team Wisconsin girlfriends walked right past me and didn't even recognize me. Lori almost mowed me over trying to get past me. . . I think the Rudy's made me WAY too intimidating for her to even look at. And SS Amy rode right past me looking for me to warm up. I had to yell at both of them before they realized the "cool chick" was me. Hello?!?

You would think that total coolness would have helped me out on the course during the race . . . .well, not really. I understand the goal of having all the women race together. . . . .since there are so few of us in comparison to the men, but when you lump all ability levels together, it makes for an interesting race. Knowing I would be racing with faster women, my goal for this criterium was to just stay with the pack. This was also SS Amy's first road race EVER, and since we both feel a little "behind" in our training this year, staying with the pack seemed like a good goal. Well, that was easier said than done.

The "roadies" like to play the little game where they speed up to see who they can snap off the back and pop. While SS Amy and I fell off the back a few times. . . . .we continued to catch back up and hang on. Unfortunately for us, when we passed the start/finish line, "TWO LAPS" was clearly announced. . . . .but what they really meant was "ONE LAP, SPRINT YOUR HEART OUT", because that was it. All of a sudden the girls took off as we rounded the corner toward the finish, everyone was spread out and huffing and puffing and we "calmly" cross the finish thinking "one more lap". Nice.

Despite the mix-up (which by the way MOST of the other girls surrounding us had, as we kept asking each other if that was it, or if we had one more lap) we both finished in the middle of the Cat 4 women, 7th & 8th. Knowing we could have at least squeaked out another spot or two if we actually knew it was the last lap, I think we were both satisfied with that. After all. . . .it's only a road race. It's not like a MOUNTAIN BIKE race or anything.

One more week until I'm gathering my things to race at Iola. Sweet. The body is ALMOST recovered from the trip. Do I have enough time to train it into shape yet?!? I guess I'll have to use what I have and we'll see what happens. Now if I can just remember how to ride the technical stuff. . . . . .

2 comments:

Mountaingoat said...

"Only a road race." Word.

Anonymous said...

Know I understand how Clark Kent can disguse himself with just a pair of glasses! Actually, you were on fire from looking so HOT! I didn't want to get burned.