Monday, July 02, 2007

Finally. . . . .my weekend update

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to download my pictures to see if I had any cool ones to post. . . . .and now that I've done that, I see that they're all strange and I don't really have any to share. . . . . .par for the course I guess. I then went to type this into my blog, and accidentally typed it into my REAL ESTATE blog. . . . .I'm sure my clients would have fun reading a RACE update. DUH.

ANYWAY. . . . .

Friday had us pulling out of the big WB around 1:30pm. It was nice to be on the road at an early hour, since we had SOOOO far to drive (about 4 hours). We had decided to hook up with some peeps and stay at a place called "Elmer's RV Park". We were a bit nervous. . . . .but it was everything we had hoped for. Elmer was about 87, sat on his "porch" (which was the awning under his double wide trailer) watching the traffic on Hwy 12 pass him by, and arose at about 6:00am each morning raring to get at "his chores". Really surroundings don't matter much to us. . . . .we're trailer trash when we camp anyway and we pretty much stay in the camper, so it's all good.

Pulling into the parking lot at the Chippewa Valley Firecracker brought back a rush of negative energy from last year's race. I remember it was at the height of my back issues. . . .my fitness was fading. . . .I crossed the finish line in pain and feeling thoroughly defeated, hyperventilating and doing the "girl thing" and crying. I KNEW this year had to be better.

Christine and I headed out for a pre-ride together and right away encountered the short, steep rocky descent we were warned about. Of course, having heard about it, I was already freaked out so we walked down it and decided to come back later and try to ride it (which we did). We ventured on and Christine stomped my ass through the trail. I wasn't feeling "one" with the bike. . . .or the course. . . .and while I tried NOT to look at the steep drops off the sides of the trail, it was hard NOT to. Never-the-less, my technical skills have come a long way in the past year so while I knew I might not ride it the BEST I could. . . .I knew I could at least ride it.

I hoped my less than stellar riding would be a sign of better things to come, so I put it out of my mind and enjoyed my pre-race dinner (chicken, pasta & garlic bread), relaxed, enjoyed some R&R by the fire with the Alterra gang and hit the sack early.

We awoke early Sunday, which allowed me to get some extra caffeine in my body (sweet), and it gave us ample time to pack up and get to the course in time to see the Virgin off for her race. All & all I was calm, feeling somewhat "normal". . . . . .and feeling like I was ready to try and rock out. I tried not to think of my past races this year. . . . .the past is not always an indication of the future and a few good results does not insure another. Each "win" has to be worked for, and earned and I was ready to give it my best shot.

We lined up next to 6 day runners, all "looking" like they were from MN. Don sent the last wave of men off in front of us and all 6 day runners pulled up to the line without an invite. Right then I knew it was going to be a smack down. I was going to have to pull out the guns. . . . .if I had them. In the end, I had them, they just weren't fully loaded. . . . . .but now I'm getting ahead of myself.

Don yelled GOOOOOOO, we took off. No one was moving, so again I was out in front. I don't know why I'm such a fast starter. . . .probably because I worked really hard on it for about a year. . . . .but I knew I didn't want to be in front on this one. I settled back and let one or two gals pass me (of course it was a couple of those dang MN girls). I jumped on their wheel, already hyperventilating as the pace in the front was insane at that point. I kept my fingers crossed that the single track would come quickly before I passed out.

We hit the first downhill and of course, one of the day runners (MN?) sprawled herself across the rocks blocking the trail. I hopped off, ran past her and remounted. It's a good thing I practiced riding that hill since I had people sprawled in front of me on BOTH laps and had to run the stupid thing twice.

We hit the single track and I managed to catch my breath a bit. Lost a few places on the next set of flats (my weakness). . . . . .gained some on the small climb (one of my strengths), dumped out of one set of single track in about 4th place with Sonia on my tail. She offered to do some of the work on the flats, and I took her up on it. She hopped out in front and pulled like there was no tomorrow. I couldn't hang with her. She was too strong. I let her go. . . . .along with another girl and dropped back with the hopes of catching my breath and gaining my time back in the single track.

Unfortunately one little mistake after another ended up costing me too much time and energy and when I caught up with the slower men, I didn't have the extra I needed to give on the flats to get around them. I played cat & mouse the WHOLE rest of the race with more than one sport rider. I'd crawl up their BUTT in the single track, we'd dump out on the flats and they'd leave me like I wasn't moving. We'd dump back in single track and I'd be on them again. . . .and over and over. Luckily at least one sprawled himself out on the trail and I managed to get by him.

After a bit some of my peeps caught me and motivated me to give it my all again. We rode together nicely, cheered each other on and pushed each other to get to the finish as quickly as we could. That's the one thing that's cool about most of the Sport women. For the most part they're really motivating. Most of them don't try and block the trail if they make a mistake. . . . .they don't get angry and yell at you if you make a mistake in front of them. . . . . .they apologize if they mess you up. . . . .THOSE are the kind of people I like to ride with. The kind who make racing enjoyable. Thankfully I've gotten to know a bunch of them.

You know. . . .the kind who trade places with you throughout the race, talk you through the tough sections, let you suck their wheel when you need to, suck your wheel when they need to. . . . .then welcome a sprint to the finish. And that, indeed, is how this race ended. After Scout and I came out of the last section of single track on the wheel of a gal who was just a bit slower in the single track, but fast on the flats. . . we lined up to sprint it to the finish. Spectators were cheering everywhere. 3 girls neck and neck, out of the saddle, huffing and puffing, hammering with EVERYTHING we had. We took the other girl, and I thought I might have a chance at Scout. . . . .but she shut me down and crossed the line about a half a bike ahead of me. I looked down at my HRM it read 194. Ouch, that hurt like hell. . . . .but it was awesome.

There ended up being 41 Sport women who finished the race. I took 14th. Not my best race, not my cleanest riding, not my best feeling (I wanted to throw up on more than one occasion). . . .but definitely some of my best competition. They were simply better. Awesome job gals.

4 comments:

velogrrl said...

Nice post!

Great description of the kind of people you like to race with. I have to agree.

Unknown said...

yay! thanks. i wish i were there trading places with you, if i could even stay with you to trade. your report actually made me feel like i was there. i agree. i don't understand when people block the trails. drives me MAD.

Dano said...

Sounds like you raced pretty hard...what does not kill ya makes you stronger!

Nice.

See ya in Greenbay!

Christine said...

Great Post, now I know what I missed up front. Cheers to you and Colleen for a great finish!