Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Relief

After a little prompting on my end, they managed to squeeze me in for a root canal yesterday.

Finally. . . . . .relief.

They've come a long way since the last one I've had. . . . .over 15 years ago. While I was a bit nervous (actually VERY nervous) there truly was nothing to be nervous about. There was no pain, only minor discomfort. Considering the pain I HAD going on in my face. . . . . .the shot of Novocaine was a total relief. The dentist was pleasant, calming and educational.

He said that 66% of people have 3 canals in the roots of their teeth. I guess that's the "normal" amount. A smaller percentage (25%) have 4 and you never really know until you get in there and start looking. That leaves an additional 9% of people who have either 2 canals, or 5 canals. Of course, I had 5. So he was in there for a while cleaning them out. The dental assistant was fascinated. She had never seen someone with 5 canals in her time as a dental assistant. Thankfully the dentist had.

I guess it's par for the course. I'm always in the minority. I'm used to being just a little bit different than everyone else.

Boy does my teeth/face feel better. Yippee!! Finally. . . . .relief. It's going to be a GREAT day!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I totally feel your pain, and your relief. I have 4, and the first root canal I had was by a completely clueless oral surgeon ... it was NOT fun, took FOREVER and had to be fixed later. Hey, do you require extra novocaine because you're an athlete? I always seem to need several shot because my body doesn't process it "normally."

MTB Girl said...

This guy was fantastic. I guess root canals are pretty much all he does, so he was great. I told him I didn't want to feel a thing. He gave me 2 shots of Novocaine and I couldn't even feel my FACE (on the left side). I had so much it took a good 7 hours for it to wear off before I could feel again. Sweet. That's the way I like it. Painless. I feel enough "pain" on the bike. :-)

Dano said...

I have never....

I got good teeth I guess.

Chris said...

Now I have this image of you trying to speak, drink out of a water bottle, and eat pizza with a half-frozen face. If I just start laughing at you next time I see you, that's why!