Saturday, June 09, 2007

Bike update

We did the key test, measured things by "the book" and ended up moving the seat about an inch back from what it was in the picture below. Having it in the different position also prompted me to put the nose of the saddle UP a bit, which actually seems to feel pretty good now.

The BAD thing is being back another inch puts me back another inch from the handlebars, which stretches my upper body out, which is very hard on my back (which I have issues with to begin with). It also has me feeling more like I do after a long road ride where I've been in the drops. . . . having a huge KNOT in my left shoulder blade, also not a good thing.

So, we're a step closer, but now will be looking at getting a new stem. . . . .one that's a bit shorter. I just feel TOO stretched. My arms are almost straight with not a lot of room to be able to move. Hopefully THAT will the last "magic change" that will have me feeling ONE with Athena again (although somehow I doubt it).

One would think getting a new bike wouldn't be as difficult as it is, especially being it's the same brand. Of course the new frame design makes it completely different and every LITTLE change affects (or is it effects?) something else, which when "fixed" seems to create yet another "issue".

Sooner or later I'll get it perfect. Probably just when it's time to get another new bike.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Shorter stem just might tbe the trick. I have also been through many adjustments since I have a short torso. You should try Allen at Bens Cycle for a complete bike fit, it's worth it.

Ronsta, said...

I agree with the previous comments, a professional fit is something worth considering. They generally cost $75-125+ but are key for someone who's sensitive to changes in position or just want to maximize their pedaling efficiency. A good fit should take about an hour by a certified fitter, but once done you'll have your cockpit measurements recorded to set up any new bike in the future.

If your interested, I know a couple certified trainers I can refer you to. It may sound like a hassle, but its cheaper than going through new bike parts to find what works!

Good luck!

Dano said...

Cant belive you got the same post as me.....

And you post a pic of it on the blog, same as me....

And your finishing top 3 in your age group same as me....

Oh... wait.

MTB Girl said...

Dano, you know we're "twins".