Monday, June 18, 2007

Awesome Weekend. . . . .Awesome Finishes!!

What a weekend!

First of all a Birthday Shout out to this gal. . . . .who managed a nice finish this weekend (11th overall, 2nd in age)! Happy Birthday Scout! And kuddos to Keith (who we have YET to come up with the perfect nick name for) for his 3rd in age finish. He told me before the race his goal was NOT to let me pass him. It was close. . . I ALMOST caught him, but he saw me and put down the hammer at the end. Nice job.

Next up a much needed. . . .well deserved finish for the Captain. He managed to score a podium spot. 17th overall, 3rd in age. He looked strong. . . .and still was able to talk during the race (I have no clue how people do that). Excellent finish Captain.



Then there's this guy, who tied his best finish ever yesterday. Despite his "Rookie" move of not giving it his all to the VERY end which allowed a "sleeper" who he didn't see slingshot past at the very end for the 8th place finish. See, even the veterans make "mistakes". Kuddos to him for his 9th place finish overall, 1st in age. Great job. Even with that "mistake" he managed an awesome finish.



Bingo decided to see what life under the big orange easy up was like during the elite race. I think he was entertained. I think he would have had MORE fun if his pedal hadn't falleno off. . . . .but it was probably pretty close.


Then there's me.


Don said GOOOOOOO and I knew I wanted to be out front. . . .somewhere in the top 5. Somehow I managed to be the first girl again, but that allowed me to be the first into the single track with the loose dirt climb. I climbed right up that with no traffic and took off. Somehow it took until 2/3 the way through the SECOND lap before I was caught. I couldn't believe it. I've never lead for that long. It was a surreal feeling.

Starting the second lap it started to pour, thunder and lightening cracked down. My glasses were covered and foggy, I was having trouble seeing. Had to slow down a little. . . .but having already ridden a few laps on that course, I knew there wasn't much I NEEDED to see. If I pointed the front wheel towards the brown spot in the trail, I'd be fine. And I was.

The third lap had me playing cat & mouse with Megatron who finally just blew past me on the last lap like I wasn't moving. She managed to gain OVER 3 minutes on me that last lap. Holy crap! I did mange to fend off the 12 year old Sara Huang who kept barking down my door and I sprinted her to the finish and took 2nd overall, despite the fact she passed me about 3 times during that last lap. I think she weighs about 70 pounds dripping wet, so she just glided over all the rocks & roots. Thanks to the hard work of these ladies. . . . .they pushed me to give it my all and I took my best finish EVER.

Kuddos also to this gal who managed to push herself harder than she's accustomed to. She also scored her best finish ever (5th overall), following closely behind me.

And this guy, who ALSO had HIS best finish ever (4th overall) tested the weight restrictions of his roof rack after he lubed all their possessions to fit them into the Subaru. It was fun to watch. It also made me glad we have a truck.

Awesome, AWESOME job to everyone this weekend. Too bad some of the peeps had to miss it. Some ROAD RACE in Grafton was more important. What's more important that a MOUNTAIN bike race?? It's all good. We scored big just the same. Gotta do what 'cha love. And I know that's not the same for everyone.

Now. . . . .Rest and Recover!!

4 comments:

Dano said...

NICE!

Christine said...

Awesome Job, Big Champ!

Anonymous said...

Way to go chicky!

bubba said...

Good show Brittany...
Meg was saying (between naps) on the drive home that you had her maxed for the first 2/3 of the race.
She appreciates the competetion that you two have going and you are playing a big part in her development as a MTB racer.
Although she is probably too shy to tell you that herself.
Very classy.
That said...Don't think twice about handing her her butt anytime the opportunity presents itself.