Sunday, May 06, 2007

Where in the WORLD did that come from?!?!?!?

Well, let me just say I was completely surprised by my finish today. I have no idea where that came from. I was hoping for top 10 (secretly thinking it might be a stretch with the way my rides have been going lately) and I up and broke my track record with a top 5 finish (FINALLY!). Mark that one on the record books. That's been on my goal list for 3 solid years now, and today I finally did it.

The first lap really hurt, which really wasn't a surprise. The sport women went out hard and fast and I knew I wanted/needed to be in the top 10 going into the hills. I jockied for a position within that top 10, went back and forth a bit with a few gals. . . . .then hit the hills and away I went. I climbed like a goat today, it was awesome. Steady, calm, relaxed and strong. Lap after lap. Again. . . . . no clue where I pulled that out of (but I sure hope I can do it again).

The second lap I took it down a notch cuz I was realizing how BAD that time over LT was feeling. I took the rest when I needed it. . . . . .and worked on my "aggressive passing". I worked my way into the Sport men pretty good and the last thing you want to do is lose time because you're stuck behind a GUY who can't ride as fast as you. I know those boys don't like it when you fly past them, but really, what choice do I have? Those Sport women are vicious. They were tearing it up. They were AFTER me. Gotta take some chances. . . . while still riding it safe. After a number of years of racing I guess I'm finally learning how to pass.

The third lap I kept it pretty even, figured I had enough in me to take it up a notch when I could, especially when I needed to get around slower guys. Rode the single track like a champ, FINALLY feeling like I "was one with Athena". She done me proud today.

Only one "mishap" where I flew over the handlebars and had to go back for the bike (first lap, tight downhill turns). I hate it when that happens. I have GOT to remember that you do NOT need to grab your breaks at ALL when you have disc brakes. Yikes!!

I have to thank some of those faster sport girls for having the courage to move up to expert this year. That's a huge jump for the women. I think one really needs to have at least cracked the top 5 a few times before you can think about a jump like that, at least if you want to continue to LIKE racing. Kuddos to them.

And thank you to ALL the people who were cheering. Holy crap! I heard my name EVERYWHERE! Sometimes I'd turn and look and have NO CLUE who they were. There were even Sport boys I passed who cheered for me by name. . . .again, no idea who they were. But all that cheering sure helped me dig into the depths of my soul and pull out everything I had, so a big thanks to my fans. :-)

Now lets see if it takes me until Friday THIS week to recover. Man last week sucked. But it's ok. It will get easier sooner or later.

1 comment:

The Shed Master said...

A big congrats, Princess!