Monday, July 07, 2008

Finally back

We're back from vacation, but yet I feel like I need another already. It will probably take me a week to unpack and clean everything up from the week. For some strange reason. . . . . .I'm already looking forward to the next weekend.

We kicked our vacation off at the Levis Trow WEMS race. That was great fun. I did the 25 mile race, which meant 3 laps. When they sent us out, I felt like a racer again. Nestled among a nice sized group of men and women, I worked my way up from the back to settle into a nice position going into the single track. I had to remind myself it wasn't a WORS race. . . . . .I'd be best off getting into that single track sooner vs later, since I can typically ride that stuff relatively well. It felt good to actually pass people and feel like I was among others of the same speed throughout the race. I forget how much I like that feeling.

The course was spectacular. The 25 mile race did the shorter course, but even that was great fun. There was one bridge I didn't feel comfortable with, so I walked it. Other than that, I rode everything relatively well. Unfortunately I didn't plan appropriately. I didn't have enough to eat or drink, and one hard lap was all I could muster. I scaled it back for the second and third laps and rode at an endurance pace. While that felt a lot better. . . . . .it was also WAY more fun.

I only had one, maybe two "near-death" experiences. . . . so that's always good. I also had a fellow blog follower identify me as he passed me, which made me laugh. I forget how many people end up visiting my blog and recognizing my name.

There were only 3 women in the 25 mile race and for various reasons, I was the only one to complete all 3 laps, I took the win. Although there was some mix up as they some how missed my finish. I must have crossed that line SOOOO fast they didn't see me. But it's all good. My fellow racer peeps straightened it out for me.

The rest of the week involved a few more rides at Hatfield (awesome, AWESOME trails), a trip to Standing Rocks (a little tight and twisty for my taste) and some down time to read and just enjoy life. Thunder puppy got lots of hiking time and actually almost died one time (which was scary). She got a little too close to the bluff and almost lost control. Needless to say the rest of the time we were atop the bluffs, she was on the leash.

We rounded out our camping trip at the Chippewa Falls race. The pre-ride was good. . . . . .I did nearly 2 laps. I hit a stump about 10 minutes into the ride planting myself face first in the dirt and adding a couple bruises and scrapes to my battered body. The race was. . . . . . . .well. . . . . . .less than perfect. A few altercations left me worked up and stressed out and had me pulling over time after time to let the comp riders pass by. I was just about to pull the plug and take my DNF when I decided, who cares? I was out there to ride, so I might as well ride. If that meant stopping to get out of the way at times, then so be it. I'm never going to get into race shape if I don't race.

That thought, and the fact that most of the comp riders has passed through had my second lap going MUCH smoother than the first. THAT lap was enjoyable. I felt strong, I rode just about everything clean and kept it under control. Of course I rode by myself, but that's ok. Lap 3 brought more fast boys and a few more pull overs for me, but again more relatively clean riding.

Now it's time to rest and recover. Find some more enjoyable riding, get back to the rides that don't stress me out. . . . .the rides that are fun. And if those rides are by myself (which most of them are), that's A-OK with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

way to not dnf brittany. you would've regretted it. that course was super fun when i was able to ride it.