Sunday, October 07, 2007

The last Sport hurrah


Photo: Superfly

Well, I knew today was going to be tough, that it was going to hurt and that I'd have to give it every ounce of everything I had to survive in that heat & humidity. I was right.

Got a good start. . . .thought about contending for the hole shot since I was right up there, figured it wasn't worth the extra effort as I knew I'd NEED that extra effort later in the race so I came through in 4th, missing the money. We dumped into the single track and took off. Somewhere there was a shuffle of places, I gained, I lost, we caught the boys quickly and getting around some of them was no small feat. I practiced my "aggressive" passing skills, instead of just sitting on a wheel taking time to recover and waiting for a big open spot. It worked pretty well. I don't think I screwed anyone up.

I do believe I actually popped a bit on the first lap as my heart rate was through the roof. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold that pace for 3 full laps, so I was forced to take it back a notch and hope for the best. I seemed to recover pretty well, actually riding SMART and conserving energy so I didn't DIE in the heat.

I remembered to hit my lap timer through the start, which was kind of cool. My first lap was approximately 28:30, second lap was approximately 30:29 and the last lap was about 31:00. I was pretty happy with those times, given the fact I consciously had to scale it back on lap #2 to survive. Lap #3 I turned into an idiot. . . . .all my "clean riding" was gone, I started to endo before the bridge, but managed to catch myself before I ate mud. I clipped out on numerous occasions due to one stupid mistake or another and I brushed more than one tree that time around.

BUT, I did the BIG log jump each lap (with style), and I made it about 2/3 the way up the equalizer on my first lap before I popped the front end up. The second lap 2 sport boys yard saled it RIGHT in front of me and I had to run the WHOLE FREAKING THING, and the last lap I was so cashed I THINK I got about 1/2 way before I had to run (or shall I say "try to jog"). And I managed to hold off several sport girls who were barking at my door. THIS one got away and left me in her dust, but I managed to close the door after she passed by (effortlessly I might add).

Standing on the podium one last time was bitter sweet. We had a full podium for the 35-39 sport women, which was awesome. I collected my medal, darted back to my water bottle bitch duties, and actually shed a couple tears on my way. I came to give it all I had. . . . .and I did. 6th place overall. . . . . . .and I worked my ASS off for that. Next year is going to be a WHOLE different animal. I hope I'm ready.

12 comments:

Ronsta, said...

Awesome job Brittany!
Stay positive and keep looking forward to next year!

Anonymous said...

Great Season Brittany....Wish I was there to share in all the fun this summer. I really missed being with all you fun, crazy, mtb superstars!! I waited patiently after every race to see the results!! You accomplished only what most of us dream we could do. I'd love to say I'll see you next year, but time will tell. I'm really enjoying road riding, but the one thing I miss is the peace you feel riding single track out in the woods, away from people and just taking in the beauty of nature. There's so much adventure in off-road riding.
My sister and I did a century together and we plan to start this as a yearly benefit to help out someone in the community. I actually rode the whole thing on my mountainbike, wow!! I really need to invest in a good road bike if I plan to ride that again. Take it easy and rest for a short time, you deserve it!!!
Friends,
Tammi

Dano said...

Nice!
I can say I knew her back when...
:-)

Christine said...

Nice job! I can't wait to see the pics of you getting "Big Air" on the log jump!

Mountaingoat said...

Thanks for the bottle in the first lap. I was in serious need of fluids. I'm still haven't pee'd today...

Unknown said...

where'd my comment go? i wonder if i messed up the password. anyway, awesome season and race. i was an idiot on the 2nd lap. i did the one footed push off a number of times.

MTB Girl said...

No problem mountaingoat. . . .I'm just sorry you were handed my RECOVERY drink instead of a cool, refreshing beverage. :-)

Mountaingoat said...

That's okay, it was fluid, I'm just glad I didn't pour it on my back or head.

Anonymous said...

OK, OK,
I'M THE ONE who is sorry about the recovery drink. Mountaingoat--I don't even know you but just wanted to get you liquids. And Girl--of course I was worried about you passing out. Glad it all worked out in the end!!!

bmxmtbfam said...

Why worry with your skills its just one more lap and you get used to jesse and the gangs voices by the 4th race.

Sarah Lukas said...

I thought you kicked butt out there!! Way to end the season killing it

Mountaingoat said...

Thanks Virgin, I appreciate the help a lot. Don't worry about it being a recovery drink, although I have to say, I don't know how you guys drink that stuff.