Wednesday, November 29, 2006

What is your purpose?

Did you ever stop to wonder what your purpose is on this earth? Why you were put here. . . . what you're supposed to do. . . . who's lives you're supposed to touch. . . . . what your "greater purpose" is? I think this time of year always has me reflecting on what I want out of life. . .out of the future. . . even the present. I know this is a deep concept for most of my blog fans, so if this is too deep, you'd better click away NOW. It' s ok to be shallow and not have a purpose on this earth other than to ride your bike, drink beer, etc. I will not judge you.

I think my time off the bike over the summer started me thinking about life in general and what my purpose is. Most of the time when I ponder these things all I have to do is jump on my mountain bike, go for a nice, long, technical ride and the world seems to be a better place when I get back. But lately, that process doesn't always work. Besides the fact I'm still restricted (by my body) as to how often and how hard I can ride. . . . as well as where and when I can ride due to the beautiful WI weather, I think I may have reached the "cross road" in life. . . .the place where you have to figure out what the future holds in order to take the next step. Whether that's in your personal life or your professional life, I think it all boils down to a few deep questions.

What brings you a sense of peace, happiness and fulfillment? Who are the key players in your life and how important are their decisions in your daily life and your future? What is your greater purpose in life and why are you here?

These questions are different for everyone and depending on when you answer them, you may have a completely different set of answers. Five years ago my answers would have been very different for these questions than they are today. Today I'm not quite sure I even have those answers. I'm not here to be an "elite athlete". . . .that much I've figured out. And the key players in my life change throughout the years, so basing my future on them seems silly. And my purpose in life seems to be a floating target depending on who's in my (personal and professional) life and what they need.

Perhaps when we all get where we're ultimately going, we'll have ALL the answers. Until then perhaps we live life day by day with our own happiness as the driving factor. Just a thought. . . . a "DEEP" thought. Just a "someone throw me a life preserver it's so deep" thought.

12 comments:

Mountaingoat said...

That Southpark link was pretty cool.

So what were we talking about?

bmxmtbfam said...

Was that paid for by Miracle Homes. Choas is what is fun. I am sure the post was caused from last nights Nip Tuck episode.

Unknown said...

i think somebody needs a new bike part...

The Shed Master said...

Face it - your just too old to have fun anymore.

MTB Girl said...

spicyride is right. . .I think I need a new bike! :-)

Russell, I'll just take your word about being TOO OLD to have fun. . . .I am a youngin' you know. . .at least compared to some of you guys. . .

Anonymous said...

Not younger than me!

Christine said...

What ever happened to the song, La la la LIVE FOR TODAY.

Anonymous said...

Not knowing where you are going is what brings the enjoyment to the ride! Let face it, every passing moment changes where we are going, if it doesn't you truly are missing out on what makes each moment in life exciting and important. Damn it...where's my beer, oh yeah it's in my bikes bottle cage. Time for a ride!

Dano said...

You gatta do what makes you smile.

They rest of what you do is just filler.

I used to be one who wondered what the hell I'm supposed to do with my life.

Now I just wonder what the hell I'm supposed to do tomorrow.

And I like it.

Mitch Man said...

I can say...the only purpose I have is making myself happy! If thats not yours I feel sorry for you. You can take that to the bank.

Anonymous said...

My purpose is to check your blog everyday, so why isn't it updated?
Guess who!

Mountaingoat said...

Are you dead?