Monday, November 06, 2006

The Iceman recap. . . . .

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." ~Benjamin Franklin . . . . . . . . . I think I might just believe that.

7 hours 45 minutes in the vehicle one way. . . . . . .freezing temps. . . . . .snow flakes falling. . . . . .69 SPORT women alone. . . . . .28.5 miles of double track, single track, flats, hills and SAND. . . . . . HUNDREDS of slower sport men in front of me. . . . . .and one FREAKIN' AWESOME finish for Girl. :-)

This was not the kind of course that favors me. . . . .especially now, when I've lost some strength and some upper end. But somehow, when you line me up at the start, tell me it's a race and say "GO", some switch flips deep inside me. This season I have been able to access parts of myself during racing I didn't even know I had. 2006 was the season for realizing what is truly inside of me. . . . . . .what motivates and inspires me.

My finish time was 2:28. AHR 181. A 90 minute WORS race has me at an AHR of about 182. I had no idea I could put that much out for that long of a time frame (at this point in the year especially). . . . .and not bonk. I even surprised myself.

Out of 69 sport women I ended up 8th overall. Out of 25 sport women in my age group (35-44) I took 1st. I got some awesome BLING! Walked away with $135, a 1st place medal and an Iceman Cometh Jersey (maybe I'll wear it at the next cross race). I was so excited. . . . .I was walking on clouds. :-)

I wasn't the only one who made my name known in Michigan. We had some AWESOME finishes among us. Jeff Melcher skillfully took 2nd out of 107 in his age (expert 35-39). He ended up 8th overall. . . .out of 394 Experts. Unbelievable.

Nathan and Ron took 1st and 3rd (respectively) in their age group (expert 25-29). Scott Cole took 5th in his age group (expert 40-44). John Lirette took 1st in his age (sport 40-44), with a mechanical none-the-less. Russell took 4th out of his age (sport/expert clydesdales). Mike & Jay took 6th in the tandem category. And there were a number of other prominentnt WI WORS riders who cleaned house as well. Check out ALL the results here.

Overall it was a well spent weekend. It was great to be able to ride with so many other great riders, to practice my "aggressive passing" going around all those slower sport boys, to spend quality time with other awesome WI WORS people, to spend 16 hours in a car with my BFF, to listen to Tiny's stories of the weekend (which I will recall for you in future posts), to realize that I really do have the motivation and the inspiration, I just have to remember how to tap into it. . . . .and use that this winter so NEXT season can be what this season was "supposed" to be. I can't wait.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Glad to see some Wisconsin people kicked some arse this weekend. Way to go on your most excellent finish! You still have it!

Dano said...

Nice!

Sarah Lukas said...

Yea, I saw your results when I was there and you definitely had an awesome weekend as well!


Please don't make the snow come just yet!

Anonymous said...

Your definately expert material so maybe you can move up and someday be real famous and I can read about you...........GREAT WORK!!!