Sunday, November 12, 2006

CX Racin'

West Bend Wisconsin. . . . . .the snow fell heavy Friday night. . . .numerous accidents. A stretch of Hwy 41 was literally closed as there was a 6 car pile up. I arrive home from work after a long treacherous drive in the 4 wheel sleigh and decide I'm parking my butt on the couch and not setting foot outside again.

Saturday morning I look out the window, everything is white. . . .I mean REALLY white. A couple inches of snow. . . .a snow filled, slush covered drive way. . . .32 degree temps. . . .I'm thinkin' "sure, what the hell, let's go to do the cross race in Janesville". So I call Tiny to make sure he's out of bed because I figure CK and I aren't going to suffer alone. . . . . .

After a 2 hour drive we arrive in Janesville. I register right away so I don't change my mind. Then I walk to the course and see it's all mud. Now I'm thinking "cool, I might do ok. . . .looks like the skills will come into play". I'm seeing people COVERED in mud . . . .some of them all you can see is their EYES! Wow. This is going to suck.

I try to warm up but decide really, I don't care. That's the fun thing about not being in the series. . . .or having "good" races. . . .you can afford to not really care. So I stand on the start line and chat with Keith while everyone else warms up. In retrospect. . . .I probably should have warmed up. . . . .

Off we go. . . . . I used the abs a ton to balance myself. . . . .sweet, at least they got a good workout. Actually rode ok, except for the fact I can NOT ride unclipped. This was my downfall. Not only did my feet slide all around on the pedals, I kept trying to pedal with my WHOLE leg and I kept lifting my feet off the pedals. Duh. So I ended up running a couple parts I should have rode. . . .but whatever. It was not so bad anyway.

I feel like I had more to give, which was good. Not sure why I didn't give it. . . . .but then again, I don't really care either. :-) Finished 7 out of 10 Cat 3 women. Caught up to Colleen at the end and she put the hammer down and stomped me. Never saw her again. Nice finish!

Even in the mud I practiced my "form" on the barriers. That's the fun part. I may not have WON, but at least I looked cool.

CK took 1st in the 40+, he had a huge gap. He probably could have walked most of the last lap and still won. He got a sweet trophy and some cash. Add that to his Iceman cash and now he's surpassed me in the winnings department this month. But he doesn't have a sweet Iceman jersey. Ha ha.

Now it's time to RECOVER. Maybe ONE last CX race next weekend. . . . . . . .

4 comments:

Christine said...

What fun! Where are the props to go with the story?

MTB Girl said...

I'm a bad blogger. I didn't take any pictures. Sorry.

Christine said...

Hell, if your gonna race in that stuff, that's the best part...some good shots of the glory. Some of my best photos of other racers were at WORS CUP a few years ago, the muddier the better.

Neil said...

Hey thanks for coming, I was afraid the weather would scare people, not encourage them to come!!
Glad you had fun in the mud.