Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Update

Well, today was the big day. I saw the surgeon. I guess there is good news, and bad news. The good news is I'm likely going to live a few more years. The bad news is I need to take an unscheduled "season break".

I'll be off my bike(s) completely for at least 3 weeks (and two of my favorite races). During that time I'll be getting the steroid shots in my back to see if my body can heal itself, or if they have to do surgery to fix it. I guess my odds aren't as good as "normal", because I've got some other back issues going on. But if they do have to do surgery, they'll only be removing part of my disk that's bulging. . . . .with the hopes that will do the trick.

I guess if Lance Armstrong can come back from cancer to be a 7 time Tour de France winner, I can take a month or two off my bike and hopefully come back stronger next year. I'm trying to put a positive spin on this gloomy news because I know it could be worse. . . . .a LOT worse. But right now having someone tell you that you can't do the one thing you LOVE to do, for who knows how long, seems pretty bad.

Tomorrow is another day. Baby steps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh....steroids, where do I sign up. :) Hang in there, hopefully they will do the trick!

JL

Anonymous said...

Wow, I guess this is it for a few races. I was really enjoying talking with you and having some competition out there. Most important is you getting better. If surgery is needed then you will recover and come back strong next year. Keep your head up and God will give you stength to get through this. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
Tammi

Anonymous said...

Hang in there , baby !! Sometimes a good rest is for the best. Bounce back strong and then DOMINATE !! - blog fan