Saturday, March 11, 2006

Spring?!?

When I woke up this morning I was pleasantly surprised that the sun was actually shining and it looked like Spring was on it's way. I anxiously tuned into the weather forecast to see how long the rain would hold out, hoping to get my ride in outside. I was happy to see Sally Severson announce scattered showers in the afternoon with thunderstorms moving in tonight, but we SHOULD be clear of rain for the AM. Sweet.

Bill and Jeff were doing the ride from hell with some of the "big boys", and even though I would have LOVE to have ridden with others, driving my vehicle and following them was going to be just about the only way I'd be able to keep up. So I figured I'd venture out on my own.

Being used to riding when its 20-30 degrees out, I dressed way too warm, and I was immediately sweating. I started out heading west, which put the wind at my back. When I took a jog to the South, I was slapped in the face with what felt like 30 mph winds, and I quickly decided to change my route. Heading west would be fun, but coming back home, I'd be dead.

I swear I could have walked faster at some points than I rode today. It's just amazing how strong that wind can be, and how much it can hold you back. After mixing up my route a bit, doing one big square around my home, I returned home in one piece, but exhaused. 2 hours, 20 minutes, and that's all she wrote. I don't know how those crazy boys can be riding for 4 to 6 hours today. I'm sure they'll fall asleep at the table later.

Enjoy the weather while you can. Rain is on it's way. Hopefully we won't see snow again. I heard it was 80 in Charlotte NC yesterday. Man I can't wait!

1 comment:

Coffee King (CK) said...

That wind made us all feel a bit slower, a bit weaker. Having the group block it 90% of the time is a real treat. Having the wind to your back made you feel like a rock star.
While the ride with boys was a lot of fun it was a bit over the top at times.
You'll have Girl's day tomorrow - hope the weather cooperates.