Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

After the "brutal" 6 hour solo at the Stump Farm Saturday, Sunday offered up some much needed relaxation time. While Bill ventured out on a nice road ride, I didn't touch either of my bikes ALL day. Instead I focused on cutting the lawn, doing some "chores" and working in a little nap. I even spent a little time crafting these sweet little "water melon boats" for a small cook out we had.


It took me a lot longer than I thought it would to cut up all this fruit. . . . .but they turned out "pretty".

Monday offered up some "sleep in time" for me, while Bill awoke at his "usual" time and spent a good 12+ hour day at work, working on massive computer problems. I don't know why HE always has to be the one to spend the holidays working. . . . . .but at least that means another vacation day for him sometime soon.

After sipping my Alterra coffee all morning Monday, I met up with Shooter to head out to Sunburst to meet up with some of our teammates to check out the course. It was actually in very good condition. Looks like Dave actually spent some time there over the weekend, working on making it better. Sure, it's still climbing a ski hill and riding through a hay field, but it wasn't too bad.

I also had the chance to offer up Athena to the Virgin. I let her take Athena out for a lap as I followed behind her on her hard tail. All I have to say about that whole experience is I will NEVER ride a hard tail. I could feel it in my back after one lap and it made more noise than I care to think about. Just think. . . . .if she's doing as well as she is on that bike, I wonder how much better she would do on a newer, full suspension bike. She should have bought Phoenix when she had the chance. Now she'll have to wait till the end of NEXT season for a crack at Athena.

One thing's for sure, after spending 3 POUNDING hours in the saddle at Rhinelander, 5 hours in the saddle at the Stump Farm and another 1:45 in the saddle at Sunburst. . . . . . .I sure LOVE my new saddle. It feels so good, I'm ready to ride again. I think I'm going to have to put one on my Christmas list for my road bike (Sydney). Then maybe I'll actually be able to DO a century ride next year.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Too bad you don't live next door, I love fruit salad and picnics!

Chris said...

Hardtails aren't so bad, if the trails are relatively smooth -- Kewaskum is NOT the place you want to have one though!

Coffee King (CK) said...

I agree that hardtails can be set up to be the best on certain courses, relatively few though. Perhaps "big wheels" will help - next year's hardtail option get more use? That and tubeless tires, a carbon frame; dreaming about my new Superfly.

Regina said...

I totally want to ride a century next year too. I never have so I thought it'd be nice to say I rode 100 miles.