Monday, October 09, 2006

Monday Aches and Pains

Today I feel like I got hit by a truck. Wow. My fatigue is at a "5" on a scale of 1 to 5. I had to run up the steps a couple times today and practically collapsed. I guess that's a sign of putting it all out there.

I knew Sheboygan favored my racing style with lots of roots and technical stuff. I also knew the paved road climb off the start was going to hurt because I HAD to get in the top 5 going into the single track if I wanted to pull ahead and gain some time. I lined up in the second row and waited to hear the last GOOOOOOOO of the year.

I had to announce my presence going up the hill, as I was ALMOST taken out by an "out of control" sport girl. Thankfully it all worked out. I got into the single track right where I wanted to be. But we were so tight on the first lap I didn't get to ride the tight turn with the roots, nor did I even get to attempt the creek crossing. Carnage everywhere.

When I got the equalizer I was so spent I barely made it up half way. Lap 2 had me starting to cramp there, lap 3 had me grimacing as the cramps were getting severe. It's hard to RUN with cramps!

It was in the second lap, at the creek crossing that SS Amy caught and passed me. I tried to catch back up but she's so powerful on those climbs! And I was so tired! Every time I'd think I was ALMOST on her wheel she'd drop me again. I never rode the singletrack on the quarry side so fast in my life. It literally was a blur we were going so fast. It was awesome.

I think I only got to ride the entire section of the roots of evil once. People were slipping out everywhere.

And when we got to the jump on the first lap I was right behind a slower sport guy. He took the right, I took the left and we nearly took each other out we merged back together so close. We got great crowd approval on that one.

All and all it was an awesome race. I have to wonder how I would have performed if my fitness level were at it's peak. Maybe next year. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the Sheboygan race!

You still got it baby :-)

Anonymous said...

All I can say is AWESOME come back. I could do all I could to catch you guys all race. The start was pitiful to say the least. We had girls come to a dead stop on that 1st little tree down on the start of the single track. I didn't get a jump at the start and then you know what happens from there, you are always trying to catch up.....You guys were flying!!!! Great season, especially when you weren't at peak fitness for half of it and you still kicked my butt!!! Next year will be FUN with those marathon races. Changes a bit of our training over the winter. GREAT finish for the YEAR!!!
Tammi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the compliments on our race!

And I never got to say "the science guy". I was dissapointed:(

Maybe next year!