Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Monday Miles

While Monday started off a bit cool in temps, I decided the rising numbers on the scale wouldn't allow me to sit and NOT ride. . . . . . .so I bundled up and headed on out on the road bike for a ride. The temps only read 43, but the sun was shining and I had the time, so I really didn't have an excuse (even though I tried to come up with one).

I thought heading to the State Forest Headquarters to drop off our Special Use Permit for the 12 hour race at New Fane might be a good option. That way I couldn't try and cut my ride short. . . . .I knew I'd be out at least 1:45 with a destination in mind.

Apparently my 2 hour mountain bike ride at New Fane Saturday took more of a toll then I thought it would because raising my heart rate was a complete chore. My mid 160's felt like upper 170's and my legs immediately filled with lactic acid. I guess that's one of the downfalls of losing your fitness. . . . .rides seem to hurt a lot more lately. But I bucked it up. . . .I had a destination I had to get to.

With all the back roads I take on my bike and in my car, I rarely get lost. Yesterday, I got lost! I knew roughly were I was, so maybe you can't really call it getting lost. . . . .but I was on several roads I'd never been on and my ride was extended a bit as it took me longer to get to my destination with a few wrong turns. But the scenery was pretty, the birds were chirping and there weren't a lot of cars so it was just fine.

I think it took me a whole hour before I could hit a hill and have at least a little energy. Unfortunately that didn't last long. . . .. . .about 90 minutes in that energy faded and the hills started to hurt again.

My ride was a reminder of my lack of fitness. It was also a reminder that I really don't like to ride my road bike. It's a good break I guess, and it certainly does help you train into shape for the mountain bike, but the mountain bike is where time stands still for me. That's where I'm in touch with nature, where I can demand things from my body that it can't normally do, where I can push the limits physically and mentally. That is where my love truly is.

On the mountain bike, I also don't have to endure 75 year old men on motor bikes yelling at me for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. . . .only to see them slowly coast through the stop sign ahead. I don't have to worry about almost getting clipped off by some asinine driver who thinks it's funny to see how close they can get to the chick on the bike without picking her off. I don't have to worry about dogs trying to race me, people thinking I'm not moving and pulling out in front of me, or stupid people hanging out in their yard shouting stupid words at me.

And you wonder why I don't enjoy the road bike as much?

I wrapped up the ride yesterday at a whopping 16 something mph average - I guess I'm even SLOWER than I thought I was. 2:25. Mostly enjoyable. The more exciting thing is, today my body actually feels a little better vs feeling drained. That's kind of strange. I guess we'll see how the work day pans out. Hopefully I can squeeze in a little mountain bike ride this afternoon between work, the rain showers we're supposed to see and my yoga class this evening. We'll see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i share your love for the mountain bike. there is just something about it. i can be climbing singletrack and it just not hurt as much as a gravel road or road. i feel like i can push myself harder, not as much dread for the hard parts. i feel safer bombing down a hill in the woods than goind fast on my road bike.

Dano said...

Getting lost is fun!

Doin' both MTB and road on the same day is my fave...

I used to lean tword the MTB and I guess I kinda still do but really what I ride depends on who is riding with me and what their on.

K,bye.

Christine said...

You lucked out, it was a great day today for a ride:)