Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Day after Thanksgiving

AKA: Black Friday

Yes, we got up before the Roosters were even THINKING about crowing, when the moon was absolutely HUGE and rather spectacular, and hit the stores. And no, it wasn't even MY idea.

Our home phone rang at 4:55am, minutes before our alarm was set to go off. Captain sat up dreading the call, as he feared it was work chasing him down to work on the ONE day after Thanksgiving that he hasn't had to work. Thankfully, that was not the case. Rather, it was my MOTHER, who usually doesn't even MOVE before 9:00am. She was up and ready to hit the stores and wanted to make sure everyone else was too.

We got ready, grabbed a to-go cup of Java (for myself) and a steamy cup of Chai (for Bill). And we were out the door at 5:30, in line at 5:43 at Cabelas (of course).

They opened the doors and everyone swarmed. We didn't even KNOW what the sales were, nor did we actually NEED anything, we just got caught up in the moment and followed the crowds to find the "deals". At one point I battled a swarm of people over a bin of long underwear. Pieces were flying, people were digging, I think one person even fell in and almost didn't get back out in one piece. The sick thing is after fighting for several appropriately sized pieces and walking around the store with them for an hour, I ended up putting them back as we decided we didn't need them. But the fight was fun anyway.

From there we hit Menards, and cruised the store looking for the "balloons", which symbolized "big savings". Scored another DVD player for $15, another Christmas tree (I think that makes like 7 or 8 artificial trees for us?) and a few other misc items.

From there, I decided I was DONE. It was nearly 10am, I was STARVING and I simply couldn't handle any more shopping. So we headed home and started phase ONE of the exterior illumination.

Today we should be able to wrap up phase 2 and finish a few other odds & ends. Then maybe we'll make a chart of how many Christmas trees we have, where they're going, and what their "themes" will be this year. I think we'll need to get a few more ornaments. . . . . .

Should be a good time. :-)

3 comments:

Dano said...

This "black Fri" thing is just too weird.
I honestly do not get it.

And you dragged Bill in it too?

Careful there buddy, you might lose your Mancard.

Christine said...

so did you get any good underware?

Sarah Lukas said...

thats awesome. I wont lie, I did venture out a little on friday...not as early, but man they really don't lie about good deals. Next year I think I am going to committ and plan ahead to go out with body armor.