Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reforestation Ramble

I had a great time today. . . . .probably the most fun I've had at a WORS race in a REALLY long time.

Don raced today, so we had a "fill in" to yell GOOOOOO. He gave us the "15 seconds" and then yelled GO without a countdown. I wasn't ready. I was waiting for the countdown. So I didn't have the best start. We hit the flat double track and I took the "crappy line" to try and pass as many gals as I could to get up to where I felt I should be. We turned the corner and settled into the single track. I was breathing pretty hard. Popping out of the single track I decided I'd better race my OWN race since it was going to be longer than usual and I didn't want to pop. So I get the fast girls go and settled in at a comfortable pace on my own.

I rode alone for a little bit, but then picked up another sport gal. . . .then we caught another sport gal and there was a small train of us. That didn't last long as we encountered a number of sport boys in the single track, one who so very nicely tried to move over to give the gal in front of me room to pass. . . . . but the pass wasn't successful as she hit something, went down and suddenly their two bikes were tangled together and she was announcing she thought she "re-broke her collarbone". Since there was nothing WE could do, she told us to go, so the other gal and I hammered on.

Toward the end of the first lap I thought I saw some gals ahead. . . . .sure enough, it was the "fast girls" I let go at the start. I was able to catch up to them and we formed a 5 person train. We rode nearly the whole last lap together and I discovered riding with others who are your speed is amazingly fun. We pushed each other, encouraged each other and really had a good time (I did at least). Passing the sport boys became easier. . . . .they would see the train of the 5 of us coming and move over. Then the elite boys started lapping us. The first set caught us in the single track so the 5 of us stopped together and pulled off the trail to let them by. The second set caught us on the double track, a few others in the single track again. . . . .each time we'd pull over together, managing to stay on each other's wheels.

In the last set of single track before you dumped out on the gravel double track (that ran parallel to the road) a couple other elite boys caught us. I was 4th in the train of 5, so myself and the gal behind me moved over to let them by. Unfortunately the gals ahead of us managed to let them pass without moving over and that was just enough to put the gap between us. We dumped out of that single track and I dropped the hammer. I could see the others, strung out ahead, on the fire road hauling a$$. We all knew we were SO close to the finish, and we knew we needed to give it everything we had.

The good news is "everything I had" managed to hold off the gal behind me, but it wasn't quite enough to catch the gals in front of me. So I finished pretty much right where I ran for most of the race. . . .7th overall. While I'm happy with that finish, I'm MOST happy that I got to ride with some really cool girls today, and I simply had a GOOD time. THAT felt good. After all, that's what racing is all about. :-)

2 comments:

Hauser said...

I have to tell you about the 15 seconds and then gooooooo. The USA Cycling guy was standing next to me and after the first two times I did the typical countdown.....he corrected me and said that after 15 I was not to say anything until Go.....WTF?

That Rep is a whole different and big issue....sorry abou the start, not my plan but he was insistant that I do it the right way.

Nice job today!

Unknown said...

Nice race Brittany! Sounds like you had a blast.