Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Boarder Battle

After a LONG 5+ hour drive, we finally arrived in River Falls for the Boarder Battle. For a month we had been debating whether to make the trek up to the race or not. A few days prior we decided to go for it. I think we had mixed feelings on whether that was a good idea or not.

Bill had been having stomach issues for a couple days leaving him a bit depleted come Sunday. Stacked behind the MN boys he once again got a poor start having his race end up not being all that he had hoped.

I, on the other hand, had a great time. We woke up Sunday to very humid conditions. I thought i was screwed. My goals for the race were 1) to finish and NOT be carried off to the first aid tent and 2) to not finish last. Good goals considering I could hardly breathe.

I knew that start hill would be a problem. Last year, without a preferred start, I lined up at the back of the pack and had to run part of the hill when girls swerved in front of me and suddenly everyone was walking. I vowed for this to NOT happen this year. I don't walk anymore unless I have absolutely no choice (ie: if someone else takes that choice away from me or if I'm going to DIE). I got to the front of the pack and that's where I stayed for the most part.


(Thanks to Bill Nigh for the picture!)

LOTS of traffic on that course, I think almost more than Crystal Ridge. I spent so much time passing boys, SO many kind boys, many of whom would just pull over for me. While that's not necessary, it's greatly appreciated when you see your competition taking more aggressive passes and riding away from you because you're "kind". After all, Don does say "treat each other kind". I tend to take that to heart.

Despite the amount of traffic, I rode clean and I rode hard. I was quite excited to have Paula Liske pass me in the field on the second lap. I had stayed ahead of her that whole time. I kept her in my sights and somehow managed to keep the gap small, playing cat and mouse with her and one other gal.


Last lap I had the two of them in my sights. I could tell the gal just in front of me was wearing down. . . . .I had more left than she did. There wasn't a good place to get around. I figured if I could keep the gap small, we could sprint it out at the end. Then we hit more traffic. She got around, I did not. I saw her pull away I didn't see how I could catch her again, we were so close to the end. But the boys moved over for me, I put the hammer down and somehow I pulled it out to catch up to her and ride her wheel through the last stretch of single track. We came around the last corner, I saw the open stretch, I stood up and I hammered. I figured what did I have to lose? Either they were going to carry me out because I tried TOO hard or I was going to take her at the end. While I WAS hyperventilating at the end. . . . . .I pulled out the pass and crossed the finish line ahead of her. It felt awesome to have something left to give. And it felt awesome to finish on Paula's tail knowing how fast SHE is.

Great race, great times, great course, great fun. Another top 10 finish, second WI woman to finish. I'll take that. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great course and great time. I am started to feel I should be sorry I keep missing this one.

Greg

Christine said...

Nice racing and I love the race report! Congrats to you and climbing that hill like a champ :-)

Unknown said...

Nice!!! How awesome!!!

Sonni said...

Great to read-Days like that are what keep you going. Hope you have many more.