Sunday, August 09, 2009

HOT, HOT, HOT

Heat and humidity has never been good to me. . . . . .really, it's humidity that KILLS me. Today proved that theory right once again. This morning we hopped in the "old four-wheel drive sleigh" and headed on up to Sumiaco to ride. Lap #1 I swear I had already lost about a gallon of water in sweat. . . . .I thought I was drinking enough, but apparently throughout the course of my ride, this was not the case.

Lap #2 I went our harder on April's wheel trying to find/ride the WORS course. Lots of double track, so of course we rode that harder trying to GET to the single track. I spiked my heart rate, suddenly had great difficulty breathing and started feeling puky and extremely dizzy. I told April to go ahead. . . . I'd finish out on my own. I took it down a notch, but still felt very dizzy and suddenly my stomach was starting to hurt. A couple wrong turns, some back tracking, a cliff bar and some cliff shots later and I was finally back to the parking lot. Stomach was feeling a bit sour, but I didn't feel as dizzy, so I filled the water bottles and set out with a few peeps for a little more riding.

I led it out so the pace would be slow (I wanted/needed slow), but by the time I hit the single track I was already starting to feel nauseous again. I rode it out a bit, then decided to head it back in as I just felt zapped.

Back at the "fort", I could hardly get my sweaty gear off. I thought i was going to collapse, my stomach hurt like it hasn't hurt in a REALLLLY long time, and drinking anything added to my complete feeling that I was going to puke. I hate it when that happens.

A few hours later and my stomach is finally starting to return to normal. Even though I ate and drank throughout the afternoon, a quick step on the scale shows I lost at least 4 pounds riding today and of course my body fat was higher than normal. I guess my thought that I had drank enough was truly not the case. Classic dehydration. Rookie mistake I guess. When one sees THAT much sweat POURING off their body, there just can't be a good outcome.

At least I no longer need to curl into a little ball. . . . . .although I just had to stop typing because I had an extreme hamstring cramp. . . . . .crap. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Oh well. No one is perfect. Not even me. :-)

3 comments:

bmxmtbfam said...

hammergel liquid endutance Heat Tolerance. I used to sweat like a whore in church once it hit about 85 outside. It works great.

Fish said...

Same problems for me at Blue Hills on Sunday. I drank a gallon of water throughout the morning thinking I would be good, but sweated that off on the first lap around the park and couldn't seem to catch my breath. 2nd lap developed a headache and got a case of the chills, 3rd time around left me gasping for breath and cranking the AC on the way home!

Sonni said...

Same here on a road ride--Got some stomach issues after eating a bar at the half-way point followed by some hard efforts. Then had an asthma attack and couldn't breath. Guys were pushing me up hills I was gasping for air riding in my easiest gear. My chest still hurts today. We never really had humidity to acclimate to yet this year.