Sunday, July 19, 2009

Interesting weekend

It was quite a weekend this time around. With Kewaskum nearly a whole 5 minutes from our back door, we had the good fortune of sleeping in our own beds and having some time to do "other" things Saturday. Saturday afternoon we got home from running errands and suited up to ride our bikes over to the hill. Kiki (aka Niki) was one of our house guests for the weekend as her husband Skip had to stay home to help her slave driving brother do some home repairs. So Captain, Kiki and myself headed on over in the fall like conditions to get our pre-ride in.

For some reason I didn't find it odd that we weren't meeting up with anyone. I wasn't sure what any one's plans for pre-ride were. . . . but honestly I'm usually best doing a pre-ride on my own anyway (especially on a ski hill). . . . .so I just didn't think about it. I didn't even think about it when Kiki kept texting all the while we were at the ski hill. . . . .I figured she just missed Skip.

While I knew we were having people over for a combination b-day celebration for AnnTony and myself, I had no idea they were plotting to decorate the Nigh joint up to surprise me. Silly me. I arrived home from pre-ride to see a big Happy Birthday banner on the garage door, and balloons, party streamers and decorations galore awaiting me. Including one BIG Scooby Doo pinata. Sweet.


After a nice little celebration (of which I did not have to clean ANYTHING up - thank you everyone), we headed off to bed for some much needed rest to prep for the big Sunburst Showdown.

Sunday morning arrived much quicker than I would have liked. Lots of tossing and turning made the night less than optimal. Funny thing is, none of the strange dreams were even about the upcoming race. Interesting. I must finally be letting go of the outcome. :-)
Off to the ski hill, I knew my legs were tired. The boys say I'm still probably a bit fatigued due to all the riding I did at Levis. . . . . .I think I'm just not in as good of shape as I should be, definitely not in as good of shape as I have been in years past. . . . .whatever the reason, I made my goal to be able to finish all 3 laps without having to walk the hill. Seemed like a reasonable goal.

On the start line my head was swimming. . . . . .lots of thoughts about my dad flooded my mind. This was always the race he would come watch me at, since he just lived in Hartford. He'd always be so proud of me, all smiles when I saw him. I started to tear up a bit knowing he would not be at this race (at least in the physical sense). It was just about that time that Bill informed me my sister and her family had come to watch me. She always came with dad in past years. . . . . .to know she was out there, that she still came had me break down. Nearly BAWLING on the start line Don began call ups. I had to pull it together. Yikes I had hoped no one saw me wiping tears from under my Rudy Projects. Up to the line, I look over to see Heather (my sister) and I took a deep breath and waved. I could almost visualize my dad standing with her. It was a very powerful moment. Again trying not to cry I hear a group of my peeps yell "Happy Birthday Brittany" and now I'm laughing while I'm almost crying. Uuugh. I knew it was going to be a long race.

Off the start the girls seemed to move slowly. I worked up to the front of the pack, hoping to stay somewhere up there as I knew I could ride that whole start climb. A couple gals passed me and I settled in the top 10 as we turned for the bunny hill. Digging deep, I scooted up my saddle, dropped it in a smaller gear and spun up a few places, hoping to stay ON my bike. I almost got my wish. We met up with a few of the slower sport boys on the steep part of the climb going into the woods. I had to put a foot down so I wouldn't take anyone out, but then was able to quickly hop on my bike again. That was my smartest move as I managed to put a gap on many of the girls that ended up having to walk.

Every lap hurt a little more. . . . .coming to the end of the 2nd lap (after making a stupid move to pass a girl on the fast down hill - thank goodness I didn't hit a rut as I'm sure I would have been in the ambulance then), I was really feeling the pain (you can see it in my face!).


I saw my "rabbit" as Bill says (thanks Keith, you really kept me pushing), and I hoped I would be able to again, stay on my bike. Hitting the bunny hill for the 3rd time I made little bargains with myself. Bargains like "ok, just get pasts this one little climb and then it's sort of flat for a couple seconds and if you REALLY can't take it, you can get off then). Then I'd hit the next part and say "ok, you're that much closer to the top, you can rest in a few minutes, just hang in there". I'm really not sure how I made it through that last lap. I'm pretty sure I saw angels waiting to carry me away I was in so much pain. My body was starting to twinge, my sweating had stopped and goosebumps were taking over, my breathing was very ragged. . . . .but I reminded myself I was ALIVE and my dad was watching me from where ever he was. As much as it hurt, I couldn't walk and I had to give it 110%. For him. That's what carried me to the end. That and knowing there would be ice cold water waiting as well. :-)

Already tonight I feel like a piece of crap, every muscle in my body hurts like hell and I'm dreading what tomorrow is going to bring. Maybe I'll be surprised and wake up feeling like a million bucks! You never know. It can happen. :-) I'm hopeful.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Nice Racing! You looked strong out there! I have some nice video of the sport start I will share with WORS. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY again!