Thursday, April 17, 2008

A glimpse of Spring

The sun popped out, the birds were chirping, the wind was blowing at phenomenal speeds. . . . and the temps slowly rose into the 70's. What beautiful day.

Most of my afternoon was tied up so my ride waited until the evening yesterday. Thankfully Mother Nature decided to smile on us with warm temps well into the evening. . .. .so a 6:00 ride time was perfect.

A group of us met down at Blue to get a nice mtb ride in. Thunder came along and hung out in the back of the truck. . . . .I think she thinks it is like one HUGE crate. She just sat in there, played with her toys. Watched stuff going on. So far, so good.

We assembled at 6:00 and set off to ride soon after. Tweak had an early mishap and as the girls circled back through the lot we found him perched on the back of his truck with a nice cut on his leg. Too much power I guess. . . . . .pulled right out of his pedal, almost flipped over the bars and managed to mess up his front wheel in the process. Poor guy.

Shooter, Squirt and myself rode most of the time together. I rode so hard I puked in my mouth. . . .and not just a little bit. It was so much I had to spit it out. I guess that means we were riding hard. Really I think it means I'm out of shape. Whatever.

We hit the "new trail" a couple times, once both ways. We hit the hills hard. . . . .tried to work the turns fast. . . . . .chatted on the flats. I decided I'm way behind where I should be, but then I also decided I didn't really care all that much. This season will be a learning curve. My goal is to finish every race, hopefully not finish last in EVERY race and to have fun. If I can't meet those goals, I need to find something else to do with my time. Yes, mountain biking is hard work. . . . .but for me, it's supposed to be fun. The day that stops is the day I should reconsider my fitness goals, my goals in life, etc.

This morning proves to be another nice morning. The showers are supposed to be moving in a little later. I'll have to try and get Thunder out for another hike sometime this morning. It will be an off day from riding for me. . . . .but it's deceiving how difficult hiking with her can get. When I wear my heart rate monitor, I'm actually in my endurance zone hiking. Of course I'm using different muscles and such. . . . .BUT it's still exercise and at this time in my life, that's what I need. Exercise with my puppy. That way we BOTH win. Sweet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yay! now i wish i went to palos. maybe later today.

Christine said...

Glad I missed that ride, Im still in recovery mode. Im not a spring chicken anymore, can you tell?

Dano said...

Nice!

Could have done without that puke in the mouth thing tho....

Too much info for me....

:-)