Monday, August 25, 2008

The Boarder Battle

Nice place to ride. . . . .kind of a tough place to race.

First of all, I have to appreciate the fact that I was able to enjoy this race instead of having to pull over 52 times throughout the race. That, I am grateful for. However, being dead last at the back of the start chute in a women's sport race is not a good place to be. . . . . .especially when you're a fast starter.

Don yelled go and I found myself in a very bad position. We funneled onto the start hill and suddenly there were women weaving everywhere in front of me. Tried as I might there was no way to get around them. . . . .I took the cheap seats giving it my all. I guess it just wasn't meant to happen. A couple women weaved together in front of me, and off I was. If you were at that race, you know that start hill was LONG. I, unfortunately, had to run a good portion of that start hill, just to try and get a better position. I popped out on top seeing how VERY far back I already was and I knew I had NO time to rest.

I jockied for a few more positions but wasn't able to clear another pack of girls in front of me as we ducked into the first set of single track. Big mistake. We rode the first set of single track slower on that first lap than I rode it in pre-ride. I now understand in even GREATER detail how frustrated those comp boys were at ME when I was racing elite. I know it was that gal's race too, but she slowed us down big time through that section with no place to get around. Combine that with my less than optimal start and I guess I should be happy I finished mid-pack.

On the brighter side, I didn't fall, I didn't make any seriously stupid mistakes, I rode everything. . . . . . . I just wasn't fast enough to make it a great finish.

photo thanks to Mountaingoat

Time to let it go and focus on the next race. And hope for a better start. . . . . . .or at least a way around to MAKE it a better start.

5 comments:

Sarah Lukas said...

congrats at border battle! It's weird how important starts really are! But way to be kicking butt!

That picture is sweet too. You look intense

bmxmtbfam said...

and the pic looks like you are the model for tanning lotion. Nice to have fun again?

Unknown said...

at least you got to race. i'm still acting like a child for having to be responsible this weekend and staying home.

Christine said...

I agree, Border Battle course is the kind of trails you want to ride and have fun on. Racing took it to another level. 120 or so left, right, track, when it's safe, your left? my right?, oh I'll wait... Drove me to craziness trying to ride the shitty part of the trail to let boys by, slowing my momentum, each and every time. Who wouldn't be a BEOTCH trying to please every fricken one of them.

Great Race Brittany and sorry I missed you.

MTB Girl said...

Yeah, I really sweat a lot.